Saturday, May 14, 2011

Medical Schools of The Ivy League

     In accordance with making this blog non-Yale centric, but Ivy-wide, I have decided to dedicate a post to all the different Ivy League Medical Schools. As any informed individual will know, it doesn't actually matter what medical school one attends because all doctors are reimbursed the same rate for the same procedure--and money is all that really matters, right? (:sarcasm:)

   But for people who like to be pretentious, casually comment on how expensive their clothes are, or are simply aware of how much better they are than others, regular medical schools simply won't do. Thus, we have the Ivy League Medical Schools (+one pseudo Ivy medical school that made the cut due to House).



 Since it is always advisable to put your best foot forward, I have started with Yale's medical school. A fun interesting fact that a doctor in our clinic told us is that the first female student who matriculated at Yale's medical school was initially rejected. Why? Answer: Because the school of medicine did not have a women's restroom. Never fret, though, her father later paid to have one installed and she was able to successfully knock down the barriers that prevented over privileged, young women from achieving their dreams. Moral of the story? If there's a problem, Daddy's money will always fix it.


File:Bard Hall Columbia jeh.jpg

The above is Bard Hall of Columbia's Medical school. By far Columbia's medical school is, in my opinion, the most desirable of the Ivy League Medical schools. Chiefly because the school color is blue (Blue FTW!) and because it is in NYC. As a high schooler, I was too lazy to fill out Columbia's extra app (for some inane reason, Columbia didn't use the Common App and I wasn't going to copy and paste my essays into some other form), so I ended up at the other Blue Ivy!






I don't know why, but I've always viewed Dartmouth as the least desirable Ivy League school. Maybe it is the location in Hanover or the ghastly green school color--which is terrible for my complexion--but either way, I have always had an aversion to Dartmouth and mentally questioned why anyone would want to go to a school with such ubiquitous green. Also, the fact that I didn't know Dartmouth was an Ivy, until I applied to colleges factors into my opinion of the school. Regardless of my personal opinions, Dartmouth did produce Dr. Seuss and for that I will be eternally grateful.




Brown was always a school that I dreamed about--and is probably the only Ivy League medical school I have a shot of getting admitted into--so it has factored highly in my opinion. However, I am not sure I will ever forgive Brown for stealing Emma Watson away. Curse you, you damn pot heads!!!




Oh Harvard. Sure you're the number 1 ranked medical school in the country. Sure your endowment is larger than any other medical school. Sure you're conveniently located near Boston. But you're also Crimson and have bland, gray looking buildings, which makes you ugly.


File:Cornell med 02.jpg

Now we have Cornell. BIG Kudos to the university for realizing that NYC>>>>Ithaca and placing their medical school appropriately. The difference in location is substantial enough to warrant Cornell a place in my imaginary future, which will probably not materialize, as I surely won't get into Weill Cornell. Nevertheless, one can dream. Can't he?




Finally we have Penn, our state school brethren. Of course Penn's medical school is like the second best in the country, but if you have to constantly tell people you don't go to Penn State, then you definitely lose some "wow" points.


Oh, I almost forgot our pseudo-Ivy Medical School. No, it isn't Johns Hopkins, but none other than: Princeton-Plainsboro Medical School. Yeah, the one from House!



It's actually the Frist Campus Center on Princeton's Campus. Ten points to the person who can name the eponymous former Majority Leader, whose family is the namesake of the Center!

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that students at Yale med school don't receive grades for the first two years? "Freed from concerns about class rank, students tend to learn for their future rather than for tests."

    ReplyDelete